The Bioengineering Division has the following state-of-the-art laboratories:
- Dissection lab
- Histology lab
- Animal House,Surgical Theatre & Preparatory Rooms
- Biochemistry lab
- Biomedical Instrumentation lab
- Biosignal processing lab
- Molecular biology lab
- Immunology lab
- Advanced Tri-ocular Research Microscope with CCD camera
- Inclined Mono-ocular Microscope
- Automatic Tissue Processor & Microtomes
- Autoclave & Hot-air Oven
- Electronic Analytical Balance
- Ion Exchange chromatograph
- Animal House with Albino Rats, Rabbits & Mice
- Electrocardiogram recorder
- Surgical facilities
- The students’ association, BE@S has been very active: arranging invited lectures by experts from industries & institutes; conducting National workshops; publishing “IN VIVO”, the in-house magazine on Bioengineering.
- The Student Chapter of the “Society for Biomaterials & Artificial Organs” is active on Campus.
- Students on Summer / Final year projects at premier institutes like JNCASR, Sri Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences, National Chemical Laboratory, DEBEL (DRDO Lab) etc. and other reputed companies like Reliance Life Sciences, Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals, etc.
The Bioinformatics Division is equipped with high end computers and servers that have 24 hour access to online databases. In addition offline genes to drugs packages are available. The major offline software packages are
- Accelrys (Insight II, Cerius2, Accord for Excel, Catalyst); genes-to-drugs
- GCG Wisconsin with 86 GB Database.
- Schrodinger Complete Drug Design Suite at a cost of Rs. 60 lakhs, the first of its kind in an Indian University
- Tools for docking - GOLD and e-hits under installation
- Biosuite from Tata Consultancy Services
- Faculty research is primarily in Drug Design & Drug Discovery. M.Tech. research projects and Indian Academy of Sciences Fellowships at leading National Labs & industries (Central Drug Research Institute, Institute of Genomics & Integrated Biology, IIT-D, IIT-B, IISc, ISI, National Brain Research Centre, TIFR, IISc., IMSc., Centre for DNA Finger printing & Diagnostics, NIMHANS, CLRI, IGIB, NCL,. VCRC, Jalaja Technologies, Orchid Pharmaceuticals, Bharath Biotech, GVK Biosciences, etc.)
- The Department of Bioinformatics is one of the 12 research centres identified by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under its Open Source Drug Discovery global initiative.
- The students’ association, COMBIGS has been very active in arranging invited lectures, conducting Inter-collegiate Paper Presentation contests and publishing “INBIOSYS”, an ejournal on Bioinformatics.
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Lab
- Heat & Mass Transfer Lab
- Mechanical Operations Lab
- Process Simulation Lab
- Technical Analysis Lab
- Applied Physical Chemistry Lab
- Fuel Analysis & Instrumental Analysis Lab
Major Instruments / Software
- Aspen Plus steady-state simulation software
- Triangle dynamic simulation software
- NISA software
- Pilot-plant distillation & absorption columns
- Rotating-disc contactor
- Vacuum & tray dryers
- Plate-and-frame filter press & rotary drum filter
- Evaporator & condensers
- Pneumatic conveying test rig
- Particle-size analyzers
- Size-reduction equipment
- Compressor, solid-level controller & cyclone separator
- Plug flow & stirred-tank reactors
- BOD incubator
- Fermentor & Autoclave
- Reverse Osmosis Plant
- Millipore Water Plant
- Water quality analyzer
- UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
Special Features :
- Wide range of consultancy services in the area of effluent treatment and energy audit is provided to distillery and sugar industries that include Thiru Arooran Sugars Ltd., Arignar Anna Sugar Mills, McAdams Pvt. Ltd. and other distillery & sugar industries nearby.
- Active collaborations exist with Central Electrochemical Research Institute (CECRI), Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), Seshasayee Paper Board Ltd., Regional Research Laboratory (RRL) Trivandrum, BHEL Trichy & Dalmia Cements for students’ research & training.
- A key research area involves troubleshooting of industrial problems including treatment of tannery effluent, energy conservation in powder processing, energy recovery from solid wastes, etc. Other major research areas include computational fluid dynamics and particulate technology for pharmaceutical industry.
- Shanmugha Chemical Engineering Association (SCHEMA) regularly conducts orientation programmes and seminars. Quiz programmes are conducted to enrich the technical knowledge of the students.
Well equipped spacious laboratories that include:
- Biochemistry Lab
- Microbiology Lab
- Plant Cell Culture Lab
- Molecular Biology Lab
- Genetic Engineering Lab
- Bioprocess Engineering Lab
- Downstream Processing Lab
- Advanced Gonio meter
- Fermentors (Batch & Fed-Batch)
- Air-lift reactors
- Immobilized bed reactors
- Solid-substrate fermentor
- Ultra Filtration Units
- Affinity Chromatograph
- Freeze Drier
- Fluorescence Microscope
- Gel Documentation systems
- UV Spectrophotometers
- Refrigerated Centrifuges
- ELISA Reader
- Deep Freezer (-80 C)
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- Faculty research has been focused on Industrial Microbiology, Bioremediation, Plant Cell Culture, Metabolic Engineering, Gene Therapy, Phytochemistry, Environmental Biotechnology & Fermentation Technology
- The students’ association, BIOTIKOS, has been very active: arranging invited lectures by experts from industry & institutes; conducting workshops & quizzes; publishing “NUCLEO”, a magazine on Biotechnology
- Students have been awarded Summer Fellowships each year from Indian Academy of Sciences to conduct research at premier research institutes like NCBS, NBRI, AIIMS, JNCASR, IIT Kanpur, TIFR, IGIB, NCL, NIMHANS, CLRI, BIOCON etc. and other leading companies. Students have also undertaken research projects at National University of Singapore.