The Bioinformatics Division is equipped with high end computers and servers that have 24 hour access to online databases. In addition offline genes to drugs packages are available. The major offline software packages are
- Accelrys (Insight II, Cerius2, Accord for Excel, Catalyst); genes-to-drugs
- GCG Wisconsin with 86 GB Database.
- Schrodinger Complete Drug Design Suite at a cost of Rs. 60 lakhs, the first of its kind in an Indian University
- Tools for docking - GOLD and e-hits under installation
- Biosuite from Tata Consultancy Services
- Faculty research is primarily in Drug Design & Drug Discovery. M.Tech. research projects and Indian Academy of Sciences Fellowships at leading National Labs & industries (Central Drug Research Institute, Institute of Genomics & Integrated Biology, IIT-D, IIT-B, IISc, ISI, National Brain Research Centre, TIFR, IISc., IMSc., Centre for DNA Finger printing & Diagnostics, NIMHANS, CLRI, IGIB, NCL,. VCRC, Jalaja Technologies, Orchid Pharmaceuticals, Bharath Biotech, GVK Biosciences, etc.)
- The Department of Bioinformatics is one of the 12 research centres identified by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under its Open Source Drug Discovery global initiative.
- The students’ association, COMBIGS has been very active in arranging invited lectures, conducting Inter-collegiate Paper Presentation contests and publishing “INBIOSYS”, an ejournal on Bioinformatics.